Below we’ve compiled some of the more widely held myths about window films as a reference guide. Chances are, if you have heard about window films, you may have heard one or more of these myths. We debunk each myth showing the falsity of each. Please give us a call at (972) 539-2989, (817) 421-3911 or request an estimate.
Window Film Causes Seal Failure on insulated windows
This is definitely False ,window film has never been proven to cause seal failure. Window seals fail (foggy windows) at the same rate regardless whether they have window film applied to them or not. If you are the original homeowner and you are still under your window manufacturer’s window warranty, 3M will automatically give you 40 months of
seal failure protection from the date of installation, not to exceed any window manufacturers warranty. If your warranty goes beyond the 40 months an extended warranty is available @ .50 cents per sqft. which covers your
window manufacturer’s warranty.
Read more about Seal Failure in this report from the International Window Film Association on The use of window films on insulating glass windows.
Window Film Causes Windows to Crack
Thermal fracture: an actual cracking of your window after the installation of your window film. These are very rare and occur less than one window per thousand windows filmed. A thermal fracture occurs because there is already a defect in the glass itself. Keep in mind, not all window films are made to go on double paned/insulated windows.
These defects cannot be seen by the builder, homeowner or our trained employee’s as they are usually small cracks hidden by the frame; this cracking of the glass occurs to the surface of where window film was applied.
Almost all window film manufacturers cover each customer for 60 months (5 years) up to $500.00 per pane from the date of install against thermal fractures. There is no extra charge for this coverage.
On the rare occasion a window replacement may exceed $500.00 you may purchase 3M’s Platinum Select warranty for .75 cents per square foot up to $1500 per window. Most thermal fractures occur within the first year that the film is installed. Most thermal fractures occur between October and March on cool sunny days. (See Warranty) Home Window Tinting Inc. will always replace the film on any window replaced under a seal failure or thermal fracture warranty as long as these warranties are in place. Remember, this warranty has nothing to do with your window warranty.
Solar Screens Are More Effective Than Window Film
This too is a FALSE statement. Solar screens get their performance by cutting visible light and absorption. Since visible light is only responsible for 44% of heat, the claim (made by solar screen people) of 80% – 90% heat reduction is misleading. Further, solar screens cut at most 70% of UV light, the major cause of fading; sun control window film cuts 99-99.9% of the UV.
3M Window Film
Is Window Film/Tint Removable?
Yes. Window Film or Tint is as permanent as you want it to be. Not all window films come off the same way. One of the reasons we prefer 3M films is because they stick really well but are easy to remove.
3 Things That Cause Heat
44% from visible light, 53% from infrared light (invisible light), 3% from UV. 3M Night Vision Series reduces over 70% of
infrared light and 65-85% of visible light (not as dark as it sounds) with 99% UV.
Solar screens effectiveness varies with the angle of the sun. 3M window film is constantly effective.
Low-e I don’t need window film on my low-e glass.
Most low-e Glass doesn’t cut Ultra Violet. We can significantly improve the performance of the low-e Glass. As much as 75% increase.
Below we’ve compiled some of our most frequently asked questions as a reference guide. Chances are, if you have a question about window tinting, we’ve provided the answer below. If your question isn’t provided below, you can contact us. Or Just Call. (972) 539-2989 or (817) 421-3911.
- Where does window film go?
- Does window film ever go on the outside?
- When do you do film installations?
- When do you do quotes/estimates?
- Isn’t 3M Window Film hard to maintain and clean?
- How long can I expect my 3M Window Film to last?
- Can I receive the benefits of 3M Window film without having to choose a “color”?
- Isn’t 3M Window film expensive?
- What is the typical energy pay back for 3M Scotchtint™ window films?
- Can 3M Window film really reduce sun damage in my home?
- Does the protection from ultraviolet rays diminish over time?
- How do 3M Window films work?
- Window Film vs Solar Sun Screens
- 3 Things that cause heat
- Important details about your installation of 3M Window films.
Where does window film go?
Window film goes on the inside surface, the majority of the time.
Does window film ever go on the outside?
In rare cases; Hiding old films where a wall is built and the existing film has failed(bubbled).
The film requested can’t go on the inside of glass due to the texture of the inside surface. This is very common in front doors of newer homes.
Can I see some homes/businesses that have window film already installed?
Yes, but we will have to know what kind of glass you have especially for homes. If your home was built prior to the year 2002 you most likely have clear insulated windows or single pane. All residential windows in homes built after 2002 in the state of Texas are mandated to have low E glass. We will gladly give you a few addresses, in return we ask you not bother the homeowner.
When do you do film installations?
Our crew of employee’s will install your window film Tuesday – Saturday (with the exception of holidays) with a normal start time 9:30 – 10:00am. We will make exceptions to this start time only if absolutely necessary(ie. Restaurants, banks, security sensitive buildings). Installations on Monday’s by special request only.
When do you do quotes/estimates?
Estimate will be done at your convenience Monday-Saturday – preferably during daylight hours. We gladly do evening appointments Monday through Thursday.
Isn’t 3M Window Film Hard to Maintain and Clean?
Window film is virtually maintenance-free Cleaning is easy. After thirty days, you may clean 3M Window films
using normal household cleaning solutions, including ammonia based products, e.g. Windex, and a soft, lint-free cloth or towel. In most cases, a soft-clean cloth and soapy water are all you need to keep your windows sparkling clean.
You may also use a squeegee to clean the film. Abrasive products, which could scratch or damage the film, should not be used.
- Care must taken not to scratch the film, do not use bristle brushes or abrasive cleaning materials.
- Household window cleaning solutions are fine. We highly recommend a product called SprayWay
- A soft cloth or clean synthetic sponge is recommended for washing. Do not use the same towel or sponge for wiping sills or frames. Paper towels or newspapers are not recommended.
- A soft squeegee is recommended for removal of cleaning solution from the film.
- Do not apply heavy pressure in any cleaning operation.
- Additional caution is recommended when cleaning spliced areas. Clean in the direction of the splice.
- Do not leave the film wet.
- Make sure you use a different sponge, cleaning cloth and water bucket for cleaning the outside and the inside of the windows.
- Use a little more soap for cleaning 3M window film—it gives more ease to squeegeeing.
3M, Llumar, Madico, and Hanita Window Films that we install are composed of the most advanced polymers and are extremely durable. They’re backed by a manufacturer’s lifetime written warranty for as long as you own your home. In commercial situation, films are warrantied for 5 to 15 years depending on product type. Realistically window film will last 14 to 20 plus years.
Yes! Window film offers a wide palette of styles and hues for you to choose from, as well as different light reductions and heat reductions. We at Home Window Tinting will help you choose the film that best suits your needs.
This depends on your opinion and what each persons perceived value is. The average installation can cost less than most medium priced window treatments. Actually, your investment in Window Film will return dividends in the form of reduced air conditioning and heating cost. It also gives you protection against costly fading of your floors, drapes and even artwork or priceless photos. Window film can even prevent injury or damage to the interior of your home or office due to flying glass from storms or impacts from golf balls, hail etc. by holding the glass together. You can get an idea of cost by visiting our Project Calculator.
Simple pay backs will vary depending upon the amount of sunlit glass exposure, the type of film, the type of glass, cost of fuel, cost of application, and other variables. However, we have seen pay backs often range in 2-6 year period, with some reported to be even less than 6 months, depending on film choice and exposure.
Yes! 3M Window film screens out up to 99% of damaging ultraviolet rays to help protect your fabrics, furniture, rugs and artwork against costly fading, but visible light and infrared (IR) are other major causes of fading.
No. The ultraviolet (UV) protection of 3M Scotchtint™ window film is indefinite. It does not lose its effectiveness over time.
3M Sun/heat Control window films are designed to reduce the amount of solar heat transmission through window glass by increasing the solar reflection (not necessarily visible light reflection) and solar absorption of glass.
Typical colored or dyed films work primarily through increased absorption. The color absorbs the solar energy at the glass, thus reducing the direct transmission into the room. These films only offer marginal performance when compared to reflective films.
Reflective films are films that have been precision coated with metals. These metallic films are designed to increase the solar energy reflection of the glass and some of the absorption. 3M Scotchtint™ reflective films range from moderate to excellent in solar performance (heat gain reduction).
3M Sun/Heat Control window films are protected with our patented Abrasion Resistant coating for long term durability and maintained appearance.
3M Window Film
44% from visible light, 53% from infrared light (invisible light), 3% from UV. 3M Night Vision Series reduces over 70% of infrared light and 65-85% of visible light (not as dark as it sounds) with 99% UV.
As with all products containing an adhesive system, a drying time is necessary to the achievement of the proper bond to the window. During this process, some changes may be observed. So that you will understand these differences, we would like to note some of them for you. They are normal and should be expected to occur. Listed below, by way of recap, are the points covered by our sales representative.
- Drying time will be approximately 30 days. Please do not wash your windows during this period
- Any haziness you may see is water under the film. You will see less and less of this as the days pass
- A milky appearance might be experienced, but it too disappears during the drying period
- All water bubbles will dry out, but a few small particles or points may be apparent when dry. These points, generally seen from the outside, are very tiny and are inherent in the use of a pressure sensitive adhesive system. An adhesive of this type is used because it is the only one that will withstand high humidity, driving rains and window condensation. You will normally see these particles only if you get quite close to the glass, which is something we ordinarily do not do. They will not affect the films performance. The 1/8″ (3 mm) border you notice is a requirement of the application according to 3M.
- Cleaning should be done using normal household window cleaners* or any non-abrasive window cleaning solution and wiping with a soft towel or squeegee. Paper towels or natural sponges should not be used.
Note: Sometimes a customer feels he sees a defect in the film when it is, in fact in the glass. It is quite natural that one should look closely at a new purchase, but at times we observe things that were always there but never noticed. A good rule to follow is to look at the installation from six feet away. This is the manner in which we normally look through a window and the way in which you should observe your 3M window film—looking through it, not at it.
Tims Window Tinting Inc. offers the highest quality installed window tint film in DFW. Serving Addison, Allen, Carrollton, Coppell, Dallas ,Flower Mound, Frisco, Irving, Lewisville, McKinney, Plano, Richardson, Ft. Worth Keller, Arlington, Hurst, Bedford, Southlake, Grapevine, Euless & all of North Texas. SERIOUS energy savings 17% to 25% less electricity 7 months a year.
Dollar for dollar 3M Window Film is the number one way to save on energy and it does so much more:
1) Makes your home more comfortable by reducing or eliminating temperature imbalances.
2) Seriously reduces fading on you shutters, blinds, carpets, wood floors, carpets, furniture, family portraits. Basically protects your most important investment, Your Home!!!
3) Daytime privacy and with some films a diminished view in at night depending on your interior lighting.
4) Reduced glare, allowing you to see your TV better even with your window treatments open.
5) Added safety from flying glass in the case of impact from storms, balls, ect.
6) Reduces the radiant heat, not just the heat from the direct sun; so when the sun is on the west, it is still working on the north, south and east.
Do I need film for my entire home? Not all of my windows get sun; in fact, some even have a tree shading them.
All of the walls and roof (attic) of your home have insulation – even the area’s that don’t face directly into the sun or have sun on them just a small amount of time during the day. Window film is insulation for your glass.
3M Night Vision Film is darker and more reflective, but not unattractive. This depends on the customers opinion. 3M Prestige is non-reflective and allows more light into your home or office.
Both series cut at least 50% of the heat. Night Vision 15 is the number one heat reducer, Prestige 40 is number two, Prestige 50 and Night Vision 25 is about tide for third.
We can do different films on different parts of your home to achieve different goals.
Let Home Window Tinting Inc. customize your home. (972)539-2989, metro (817)421-3911 or toll free 1(800)689-8468.